After less than a week, I completed, today, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. It is a mystery novel that relays the aftermath of a wife gone missing, as told by the husband, with windows into the unraveling marriage provided by old diary entries of the wife. I must say, this is one of the best books I have read in a while, especially on my own time. To begin with, the plot is one of the most original I have encountered, especially since it is seemingly an age-old tale of bad marriage ended in murder (which Flynn devilishly nods to, as, in a post-modern manner, characters mention and compare themselves to classic scenarios in crime-shows and movies. It is made known that most of what is done is because of meticulous research of true-crime novels and television shows that have so saturated American media and minds). But the beginning is told so cunningly and carefully, it keeps the reader engaged, analyzing every word the husband says in order to piece together possible answers just like a detective. I found myself comparing the he-said to the she-said, attempting to garner any truth or slipped clues from the words. It is obvious that Flynn chose every sentence, every word, very carefully, in order to paint a shady and suspicious character that the reader questions even as he tells his seemingly honest story. The beginning of the novel kept me hooked, wanting to turn each page without stopping, looking for new information. And then there was the twist.
I had heard this book had a twist. I spent a good portion of my time during the first section trying to figure out what it would be before it happened. I guessed and I guessed, worried that I would get it right and it would once again be a predictable story I figured out. I am very happy to say I was wrong. Very wrong. And the best part was, it didn't come out of nowhere, yet there was no clue that had pointed right to it. It wasn't predictable, and yet it wasn't outrageous either. It made sense without being right under your nose. It was a beautiful, glorious, inventive twist, so wonderfully and brilliantly placed, I, the reader, felt just as manipulated by the author, as the characters did by each other. It was then that I realized every word had been meticulously chosen and placed in order to come to that moment. Flynn had been guiding me to pick one of many answers, but this was not one of them. I felt as blind-sided and used as a pawn in a ridiculous game. And I loved it. I am always pleased when I find something, a book or a film, that throws me off my game, that makes me believe in original story-telling again. And this did it.
I have less gushing to do about the latter parts of the book. After the twist is revealed, what happens is necessary, yet not as thrilling as the beginning. I still held on for dear life, not wanting to put the book down at night, wanting to know what happens. But it wasn't as rewarding as the first section. You can tell the author tried, with a couple surprising incidents thrown in and a less-than-happily-ever-after ending (which I credit her for since I am a hater on the perfect, nicely tied-up-with-a-pretty-little-bow ending), but none of it comes even close to the beginning. The narrative is less mesmerizing, as the reader no longer has to attempt to piece things together, but rather it's all laid out in front of them, and as the characters reveal their true colors they become more fascinating as people, yet less interesting to read (and that may not make much sense, but it sums up how I feel pretty well).
I like a good twist. And boy, does this novel have a twist. But it's not like an M. Knight Shyamalan film where you only watch it in order to learn what crazy idea he came up with this time. In Gone Girl, the twist is a facilitator for the story, but not the only legs it has to stand on. The characters are so well developed, and the writing and manner it is told is intriguing. It is a genuinely well-written book, the kind that when you finish you kind of want sit there and slow clap to honor its achievements. But it's a book, and it can't hear you.
No comments:
Post a Comment